Tuesday, February 26, 2019

Slay the Spire Mechanics

I've been playing and watching a lot of Slay the Spire, a super fun deckbuilding roguelike.  What mechanics can I crib from it for DnD?

I think the two most obvious are the basic scaling mechanics for the first two characters, the Ironclad and the Silent. What I like about these is that they give an obvious time limit for the encounter, as the enemy or the environment is getting more hostile.  I love having timers to give an increased sense of urgency.


Demon Form could be applied to any creature and each turn that creature would clearly become more powerful as the demon inside begins to bust its way out of the mortal shell containing it.  I would give +4 strength (or +2 STR modifier) to that creature every turn. You also have the option to do +3 STR modifier depending on how long your average combat lasts and how many HP your PCs have, so it would get +3 to hit and damage on each of its turns. I like the idea that the party is desperately trying to take down this creature as it howls with pain, becoming monstrously huge and hitting harder and harder.  It should be really apparent that this creature is taking on demonic aspects.   

Next would be Noxious Fumes.  I think this would be a great way to represent a room slowly filling with poisonous gas, or the cumulative effects of being in a polluted area/aura turn by turn.  Once again a timer to encourage rapid decision making.  Each turn they take 2, then 3, then 4, then 5 poison damage, etc.  Or for the upgraded version, 3 then 5 then 7 etc. If you like, even once you get out you would still take 7, then 6, then 5, then 4, etc damage each turn.  

The Defect I'll have to think about.  I have a character based on it and I love the orb idea.  


No comments:

Post a Comment